Friday 20 October 2017

Pumpkin Cinnamon Waffles

I had half of a baked butternut squash left over from the vegan dinner. I was looking for something sweet. Waffles popped into my eyes as I trundled through the Internet.
The combination of pumpkin and cinnamon has something soothing for the days of Autumn. I am not a fan of American pumpkin pie, it is too overspiced and too sweet.


Usually these waffles are eaten with a Maple syrup or chocolate sauce. That is too sweet for my taste and I went for icing sugar. To shoot a nice photo I picked the jar with leftover pomegranate seeds and dropped some on top.
That combination is amazing. The tarte juicy kernels cut through the sweetness of the waffles.


recipe for 6 double waffles:
220 g  precooked cold butternut pumpkin
2 eggs
4 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
240 ml whole milk
180 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
60 g melted salted butter
1 tsp vanilla paste
1/2 lemon zest
2 tsp oil
icing sugar
pomegranate seeds


Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add vanilla paste, eggs and butter. Give it a good whisk.
Gradually add milk and the pumpkin. Make a thick batter and let that rest 30 min.
Oil the waffle iron and let it heat up completely.
Bake the waffles, it will take a bit longer, the pumpkin adds more moisture to the batter.
Icing sugar on top and sprinkle some pomegranate seeds on top too.

No comments:

Post a Comment