Tuesday 18 December 2018

Kimchi 2.0

I made a German style Kimchi about 2 years ago. It was good, but reminded me more of German pickled veggies.


This time I tried to be more authentic. This is a mix of recipes of my favourite You Tubers Maangchi and Emmymade in Japan.

The reason for this preparation was the large head of Napa Cabbage I had to buy for my Japanese dinner. In 2 different supermarkets, only large heads of cabbage were available. I needed just barely a forth of the cabbage, so what to do with the rest?
Kimchi!
Luckily in my well stocked pantry was glutenous rice flour, fish sauce and Korean chili flakes to find. Carrot, daikon radish and onions and garlic been in the veggie drawer.


I got out my large 1,5 l jar to store the cabbage and the fun started.

In my biggest pot filled half with water and a half cup of salt, I tossed in the cleaned and in 1 inch chunks cut up napa cabbage.
I ran a carrot and 12 cm of daikon radish over the mandoline to make fine strips.
The green of 2 spring onions followed. All got mixed in the salted water and stayed there for nearly 2 hours to soak.
Then I took off 350 ml of the water and drained all the veggies in a colander.


During the 2 hours waiting time I prepared the rice paste and let it cool down.
I used half of a red apple for some sweetness. Small chunks to go in with the veggies.

Recipe:
1,6 kg napa cabbage
1 carrot
1 piece of radish
2 spring onions
1/2 cup salt

5 cloves of garlic
5 cm ginger
1 small onion
1/2 red apple
3 1/2 tbsp Korean red chili flakes
1 1/2 tbsp glutenous rice flour
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp sugar

Make the paste in a small pot. Dissolve the flour in the cold water completely. On medium heat warm it up, add the sugar and keep stirring until you have a smooth paste. Cool it down.
Use a grater and grate ginger, garlic and small onion in. Add as much chili as you like.


USE GLOVES!

Mix the drained veggies very well with the paste. When everything is well combined, stuff all into the large jar, avoid air pockets.
Do not close the lid, it will explode otherwise.
Put the jar into a large bowl to prevent the fermentation liquid to soak your kitchen.
It needs two or three days to ferment, depending on the warmth in your kitchen.

Then close the lid and store it in the fridge. It is ready to eat now, but it keeps for a long time.



No comments:

Post a Comment