Thursday 21 March 2019

Spinach Soup for St. Patrick´s Day

Eating and drinking green stuff was something I encountered in Florida on St. Patrick´s Day first. I did not know what was going on when the waiter brought me green tinted beer and some kind of cheese sauce that had an ugly tinge to it. Lots of people were celebrating and I asked, what kind of Holiday that was. I was told that the 17th of March was the day for the Irish to celebrate their Patron.


I was only wondering, why so many people were celebrating, who clearly were not of Irish decent. That was in 1988. That was the time I decided to Honor this day at home too. With my parents together we cooked some food that was green and worn green close. Even at the Office for several years my influence made that day special. Some baked green cakes or muffins, I made green Yello  and we all had a fun time.
Over these years and a couple of trips to Ireland, I discovered that they had parties on the Streets and in homes and watch the great Parade in Dublin.


recipe for 4:
500 g frozen leafy spinach with cream
2 shallots
1 tbsp semolina
500 ml chicken stock
nutmeg
White pepper and salt
1 tbsp oil


Defrost the spinach, chop the onions and fry them in a little oil for a couple of min.
Add the chicken stock and sprinkle the semolina in. Give it a good stir.
Now follows the spinach and the seasoning. Do not scrimp on the nutmeg.
Bring to a boil and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment