Sunday 21 April 2019

Asian Duck

I found this recipe on the Internet at Chefkoch.de. A fire fighter put that recipe online.


But first things first. I did not know what to cook during the Easter Holiday. On Bank Holiday Monday I am invited at a friends house, so I do not need to cook that day. I just have to bring a cake.
I went to a local Supermarket and found a duck, fresh not frozen. Coming home with it I started to check a whole Plethora of recipes. Some in my lots of cookbooks, some on the Internet. The spiced Asian duck won.


This was the reason for the spice blend making yesterday. Preparing the bird with the fresh mixed spices was an eyeopener. You wont get such a fragrant smell when you use store bought spices.
Quartre Épices is the base of this rub. I mixed in some more spices.


I just opened the oven after nearly reaching the full cooking time and the smell and look of the duck are amazing. Brushing it with the rub and turning it gave it an extra crispy skin.

But for the skin I went a step further than the recipe told me. I exfoilated the skin with a salt rub and let set sit 10 min before I took it off with a paper towel. The dry rub of the spices had a good base to kling to the skin.


recipe:
2 kg duck
2 tbsp Quartre Èpices
salt
4 tbsp soy Sauce
5 tbsp honey
2 tsp Ground ginger
a couple of Drops Tabasco (optional)

Preheat the oven to 220 C.
Wash the duck and take off any excess fat hanging around.
Pat dry and give it a good rub on all sides with salt, let it sit 10 min.
Make the wet rub.
Take off the salt with a paper towel.
Rub the duck with the spice blend and put some with salt inside the cavity.
Use the deep try in the oven and fill that with 750 ml hot water
Put the rack on top and place the duck on breast side down.#
Bake for 20 min.
Reduce the heat to 180 C and take a brush and get some of the wet rub on.
Bake for 10 min, turn the duck and brush again. Bake for 10 min,
repeat until you reach a cooking time of 1 hour 30 min.
Shut the oven off and open the door and pull the rack forward. Let the duck rest for 5 min.
There should be enough sauce in the tray.
Get some of it out and reduce it or use is just as it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment