Friday 12 April 2019

Savoury Tamagoyaki and Quail Eggs

The rolled up egg omlette is a very special dish in Japan. And it is very sweet.


Since 2014 I have a tamagoyaki pan for my induction hob and I am experimenting with different tastes. After my last Japan trip in October, I had a prime piece of the real deal at Tsukji Outer Market in Tokyo. A long line was gathering around the corner shop that only sold tamagoyaki. I stood in line for one too and had enough time to look at the guys who prepard it. Very interesting.


The one I ate there was the sweetest one I ever had.

My friend is not so keen on sweet stuff, especially not sweet stuff in savoury food. I promised to bring the pan and make a savoury version of the rolled omlette.
She has 7 quail hens and they just started laying eggs again after their winter rest. She boiled some of the eggs and they went into a bowl with Shoyu and a little white balsamic vinegar.


I got the very few ingredients together for the omlette:
4 eggs
4 tsp hot instant dashi stock
1 tsp shoyu
salt
pepper
1 pinch herbes de Provence
oil





No comments:

Post a Comment