Tuesday 16 February 2021

Dakgalbi or Korean spicy Chicken

This was on my to do list for Korean dishes for a while. Due to lockdown I was not able to go to the Asian market in downtown. Last Saturday I finally found the food items I was looking for.



It is the first time I used rice cakes. The thick straw shaped pieces that look like the foam chunks in packages. I was curious to try them. 



The recipe I tried was from Aaron&Claire YT. But I toned down a bit on the spicy side. For my first try it was hot but not too much. The bad thing is, heating up leftovers the next day increases the spicyiness. But I can upscale the heat level next time.


Sauce:

1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tsp minced ginger, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp veg stock (chicken)

2 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp rice or corn syrup, 1 tbsp oyster sauce, 1 tbsp sesame oil

2-3 tbsp gochoujang chili paste, 2-3 tbsp gochugaro hot pepper flakes

1 tsp curry powder, ground pepper, 100 ml apple juice

500 g chicken either breast or thigh meat  (I used breast) in bite size pieces

Marinate time minimum 20 min. I kept it for 2 hours on the cold balcony.



10 rice cakes, 1 large yellow onion, 2 green onions, 1 purple carrot or sweet potato, 2 hands full of shredded cabbage, 1 celery stalk, 2 tbsp rapeseed oil, 50 ml water Usually Shiso leaves are used in this dish. They are not available here in Germany.

Use premade Udon noodles to add and grated cheese.



Use a wide pan and get the oil in. Layer the veggies and rice cake in. Put some of the cabbage in the middle. Pour the chicken with the sauce on top. Put the lid on and cook for 3 min. Now stir everything around and let it cook until the chicken is done. Add some water to prevent the sauce from burning. Cook the noodles in the sauce.



Since Koreans love cheese. Draw a line in the middle of the pan and pour in the cheese. Put the lid on and let it melt.




No comments:

Post a Comment