Friday 27 October 2023

Fig Syrup with Rose Petals

This years hot and then warm and sunny October has given the second batch of figs on my tree in the front yard a chance to ripen.



Usually I get just the first 25% of the figs on the tree to ripen. The weather is normally colder and it rains a lot. 



Not so this time. I made 3 batches of fig jam, salads with figs and desserts during Summer. This morning I came back from grocery shopping and walked alongside the tree and there were many ripe ones to see. Since it rained yesterday, 2 were split open.



I stuffed the pockets of my parka with figs. First I only saw 4 figs, but getting in the garden to reach them, there were a lot more.

No more fig jam! 

I went for a fig syrup. That can be eaten with cheese or in a cocktail with Vodka or Gin.

Recipe:

500 g cleaned fresh figs

2 lemons, zest of one

380 g sugar, 2 tbsp pumpkin spiced agave syrup

1 cinnamon stick

10 g dried rose petals

150 ml water



Quarter the washed figs, just cut off the tip and a little from the bottom. Put zest and juice in the pot together with the cinnamon stick. Stir well and let it sit for 15 min.



Add the sugar, agave syrup  water and rose petals and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 min and fill in sterilized jars.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment