Tuesday 21 January 2020

Chouchoux Salad

I bought 3 small cookbooks from Mauritius in French language. One is all about Starters, one are Main Dishes and the last one is about Rougails.


Rougails can be found on the islands in the Indian Ocean. Some are more on the hot chili side like on la Reunion. The ones on Mauritius have a great amount of different spices. You can find this dishes on the Seychelles too.


The Starter book caught my eye, because several dishes containing chouchoux. I encountered this veggie a couple of years ago on the island of La Palma in the canaries. Since then, when I have a chance to get it, I buy it. But I can't find it in Germany.


It belongs to the pumpkin family, but reminds me of our Kohlrabi.
I prepared the salad dish from the book. But I exchanged fresh tomatoes for red bell pepper. I do not need an other allergy outbreak.

The veggies have to be cooked in their peel. It will take about 20 to 35 min depending on the size. Preparing them as a salad means peeling hot veg. Better cook them a couple of hours early, that helps and you wont burn your hands.


Recipe for 4:
2 or 3 chouchoux
1 hard boiled egg
1 red bell pepper
2 cloves of garlic
2 spring onions
1 lemon
Pinch of sugar
4 tbsp oil
Salt and pepper

Peel the cooked veg and discard the hard centre part.
Cut into fine slices.
Chop the bell pepper into small bits.
Chop the spring onions and mince the garlic with some salt.
Make the dressing and mix the salad.
Quarter the egg and place it on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment