Saturday 20 January 2018

Freekeh with Eggplant and Bell Peppers- vegan

I have some organic Freekeh from Lebanon and it tastes so nutty and delicious. I seldom use it, I have problems to get the ingredient. The grain is roasted and that gives the flavour.


I pressed the juice of an orange into the pan, the touch of sweetness goes great with the tomato sauce and purple curry. This curry has a very dark colour and the main herb is dried hibiscus flower. The curry has a fruity taste and is not too hot.

My yellow bag of bell peppers was an offer at the supermarket and I had to take them. They are so juicy and I ate some while chopping them up. From the bag of Japanese eggplants were 2 still in the veg compartment of my fridge.


recipe for 2:
2 yellow long bell peppers
2 Japanese eggplant
2 spring onions
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 orange
100 ml red wine
2 heaped tsp purple curry
salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
100 g Freekeh
2/1/2 times the amount of veg stock


Cut the eggplant into rings and salt it and let it rest 20 min, wash and drain.
Chop everything else.
Boil the veg stock and add the washed Freekeh, cook for 30 min, drain and place on a platter to steam off for 5 min.
Heat up the oil, start with onions and garlic and add the tomato paste and then after 2 minutes the orange juice and the curry powder.

Add the veggies and give them a good stir and cook them for 3 min. Add red wine and cook until everything is tender. Season to taste.
Put in the Freekeh and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment