Tuesday 28 May 2019

Rhubarb and Apricot Compot

It is rhubarb and strawberry season now here in Germany. But apricots from Spain are sold in every supermarket here too. I saw lots of fresh aoricots at the fruit and veg stores in Bilbao and San Sebastian, but I had no time to try some.


Today I bought some dark orange to medium red ones. These kind I saw the first time during the holiday. I only new the light orange and yellow ones.

A couple of red stalks of rhubarb went into the shopping basket along with strawberries. They go together so well.
But I ate the strawberries after a good wash as they were. I still need a lot of fruit and veg to compensate the food I had during the holiday.


I made a new compot with the red apricots and the red rhubarb. This is amazing too. I used some fresh picked orange verveine from my herb garden on the balcony. The intense smell goes so well with the compot.


Recipe:
5 stalks of red rhubarb
250 g red apricots
5 leaves of orange verveine
A dash of lemon juice
50 g brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
A pinch of blueberry salt
100 ml dry white wine


Cut the rhubarb into small chunks, destone the apricots and cut them the same size.
In a pot caramelize the sugar with a little lemon juice, add wine and salt and cinnamon.
Put the rhubarb and apricots in and cook until both are tender.
Finely slice the verveine and stir in in.

Serve with kaymak cream or vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment