Sunday 17 February 2019

Coffee Streusel Cake

This recipe was on the FoodNetwork website. The barefoot contessa - Ina Garden-made it.
I admire her for many years now, I watched so many foodnetwork series when I was in the US.


I was looking for a real coffee cake on Google, but I found nothing really exciting. Then came her short video and I knew, I had to prepare that.
As always the recipes shows my own hand. I can' t stand the huge amounts of sugar in the American cakes, they are all too sweet for my taste. I did a good reduction on that side.
A while ago I bought a Bundt cake tin with a loose bottom. They are very different from the ones you get here in Germany. One thing is the best, the cakes fall out of the tins very easily. Nothing sticks.


recipe:
110 g soft unsalted butter
240 g sugar
3 extra large free range eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
300 g sour cream
310 g flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt


streusel:
55 g light brown sugar
60 g flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
40 g cold butter
100 g chopped almonds


glaze:
50 g icing sugar
1 1/2 tbsp Maple syrup
some lemon juice


Preheat the oven 175 C.
In a stand mixer beat softened butter and sugar until fluffy, add eggs, one after the other, beating after every single one.
Add vanilla and sour cream, beat again.
In a bowl sift the dry ingredients and let them get into the wet mix in two parts. Scrape down the sides and make sure, you do not have any pockets of flour left.


Butter and flour the tin. 
Make the streusel by rubbing the ingredients between your hands.
Pour halve of the cake mix into the tin, sprinkle halve of the streusel on top.
Get the rest of the batter on top and finish with the streusel.

Bake for 50-60 min until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
Cool it down and get it out of the tin to cool completely.
Make the glaze and sprinkle on top.

The cake is moist and has some crunch from the streusel.
I served it the same day and it was nearly gone in one setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment