Saturday 24 August 2019

Chicken in Lee Kum Kee Soy Sauce

I went to our Asia Go Supermarket today and loaded up my shopping cart
I wanted  the Lee Kum Kee Products and did not find them on the shelfs
But I needed Dark Soy Sauce and some Premium Soy Sauce. I found a special offer in a sealed bag with 3 bottles. At home when I unpacked it, I was very surprised to find 3 bottles of the brand I was looking for.


The aromas from cooking were filling my whole place. The ingredient I used mostly was spring onions. The other was ginger.

The ginger sauce with the Szechuan oil on top was my favourit.


Recipe for 4:
1 chicken
2 Tbsp oil
2 inch knob of ginger
6 large spring onions
2 star anise
1/2 cup Chinese cooking wine
3/4 cup Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce
3/4 cup Lee Kum Kee dark soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
5 cups water


Ginger onion sauce:
5 tbsp grated ginger
3 cloves of grated garlic
6 large spring onions
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
6 Szechuan pepper corns
4 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 tbsp sesame oil


Separate the chicken in two halves and look for a pot where you can submerge both pieces in liquid.
Cut the ginger in thin slices and cut the spring onions in rings.
Heat up 2 tbsp of oil and fry the ginger until it turns a little brown. Add the spring onions and give them a minute. Pour in the cooking wine and bring it to a boil and reduce the alcohol for 3 min.


Now get in the 2 kinds of soy sauce,water, sugar, salt and star anise. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 min. Submerge the 2 chicken pieces, bring back to boil and cook for 40 min.


Get the chicken out and let it rest for 10 min. Cook some rice.

While the chicken is cooking, prepare the ginger sauce. Finely grate all the ginger and garlic. Finely chop the spring onions. Press the ginger garlic mix through a fine sieve over the onions and add some Chili pepper flakes.

In a small pan heat up the 2 oils with the Szechuan pepper corns. When it starts to smoke, pour in through the sieve over the onion pepper ginger mix. It will sizzle.
Serve with the rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment