Monday 2 May 2022

Chickpeas with Yogurt - Şiveydiz

This is a special dish from Gaziantep in Turkey. It is eaten in April and May. 



The recipe calls for garlic greens, like spring onion greens. But they are not available here. I asked the owner of my neighborhood Turkish supermarket. My co-worker gave me the recipe and told me to use the white part of a leek instead.



Since we are in the middle of wild garlic season, I used a big bunch of it. That gave me the garlic vibe.

The base is a lamb soup. I bought a chunk of lamb shoulder. I took off the fat and tendons and cubed the meat. In a little veg stock it took 45 min to get tender. Then I added leek and wild garlic to cook an other 10 min. In with the chickpeas.



I have gound a new method to get rid of the waxy chickpea skin. I pour them in a bowl of cold water. With one hand I "wash" them against each other. That helps to get a good amount of skin off. The skin floats to the surface and can be removed. I only had to clean some of them.



The soup is bind with flour, egg yolk and Greek yogurt and seasoned with fresh mint. It is eaten with rice. I bought a kilo package at the Turkish supermarket. It looked like some kind of medium white rice. The google translator told me it was Battery Rice. I have to asked my co worker tomorrow, what the right translation is.



Recipe for 2:

250 g cubed lamb meat (shoulder), 1 tsp veg stock paste, 1200 ml water.

1 white part of a medium leek, 100 g wild garlic leaves, 200 g canned chickpeas

6 tbsp Greek yogurt, 1 egg yolk, 1 tbsp flour, salt, pepper

10 mint leaves, 1 tbsp butter

2 cups Turkish medium grain rice






 

No comments:

Post a Comment