Wednesday 7 March 2018

Jambalaya

A dish I ate first in New Orleans on my second trip there. The mix of sausage, chicken and seafood excited me. But I can´t remember if I ever cooked it for myself. My Dad made it once for a family dinner. He called it a sweep the kitchen and fridge cleaning dish.


I had a cooked chicken leg and two beef sausages in the fridge. I bought fresh prawns at the fishmonger in the morning.They had a good size and would complete the mixed dish.


The first job is always the mis en place. It is so important, because most of the ingredients are going into the pan during the same time and with an induction hob there is no time to kill until it gets hot.


recipe for 4:
spring onion
garlic
1 cup longgrain rice
olive oil
beef sausage
2 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp paprika powder  mild
1 tsp dried lovage
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp herbes de Provence
2 chicken pieces cooked
1 cup defrosted peas
200 g fresh prawns
1small can of sweet corn
1 red bell pepper
tomato paste
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
100 ml white wine
salt and pepper
fresh coriander

Use a wide pan with a lid.
Saute the onions and garlic and add the veggies and let them get some heat and stir in the tomato paste. Season and mix in the rice and fill of with wine and stock. Add the sausage pieces. And close the lid.
Since the chicken is cooked and the prawn do not need much cooking time. They go in with the sweet corn and peas and just need the time to heat through.
Maybe add a little more stock or water if it gets to dry.


Finish with chopped coriander.

You can add hot sauce.




No comments:

Post a Comment