Tuesday 26 November 2019

Carrots, Bacon and Potatoes

I haven't made this dish in a very long time. It was one of my Mom's favourite dishes when she had to save money.

Childhood and lots of plain veggie dishes often are at odds. Many children are not so fond of certan kinds of veggies. I was not a huge fan of poatoes, I hated mushy cauliflower and spinach and until today I still do not eat Brussel sprouts. All other veggies and lots more are in my list of favourite ones.

When carrots were cheap to get or from Grandma's garden, this one pot dish was served. The same evening the juicer was in motion and Mom served freshly made carrot and apple juice.


It was funny, when I left home to live on my own, the juicer went in the basement for good. A couple of years later, I was asked what I wanted for my birthday. I wanted a juicer. I got the old one from the basement. It was as old as I was. My parents had bought it when Mom was pregnant with me. It worked almost 10 years in my household. Then I bought a new one from the same company.

Guess, what I've been drinking the last 2 nights. I improved the carrot juice by adding not only apples, but lemon and ginger.


But now back to the veggies in the pot.

Recipe for 3:
600 g carrots
400 g potatoes
3 spring onions
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp oil
125 g smoked bacon bits
160 ml veg stock
Salt, pepper
Fresh parsley
Fresh marjoram

Peel carrots, potatoes and onions and garlic. Chop in bite size pieces.
Use a pot with a lid and heat up the oil.


Fry off the bacon, add the onion and garlic.
Place the carrots on top. Season with salt and pepper and marjoram.
Put the potatoes on top.
Pour half of the veg stock in and close the lid. DO NOT STIR.

Reduce the heat a little and cook for 5 min.
Now stir the whole pot and add a bit more stock.
Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the veggies are soft.
Add parsley and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment