Wednesday 22 January 2020

Chicken with Breadsauce

Our trip to the local Mauritian supermarket brought us chicken legs and Indian spices. Here are more then half of the islanders of Indian heritage  (about 68%). Garam Masalas, grilled Masalas and Chat Masalas are available in small, medium and very large packages. Turn around at the huge spice rack and you will find the big bags of rice. It took me a while to find a 1 kg package of Basmati.


The chicken legs got seasoned with salt and pepper and a good cover with grilled masala seasoning. A bit of garlic and onion slices and some oil finished the marinate.
They went into an ovenproof dish and baked at 200 C for 50 min.

White rice was the choice of side dish. But my friends are not fond of rice on its own. They love to douse it in sauce.

What kind of sauce is possible, I asked myself.
I checked the available ingredients and took a chicken stock cube and some double cream out of the fridge.
A bit of curry powder. Raz el Hanout. Dried chives. Salt and pepper. It tasted good, but was too thin. I reduced the liquid a bit, it intensified the taste, but still too thin.

I looked around the kitchen and saw leftover baguette from breakfast.
English Bread sauce! That was the solution.

This kind of sauce is not known in Germany. But who cared. I put about 30 g of fine shredded bread into the sauce.

A great dish.



No comments:

Post a Comment