Sunday 26 January 2020

Tourin de Maurice/Mauritius

Tourin d' ail doux is a French garlic soup. I have no idea, why this tasty potato, onion and garlic dish is named Tourin. But it is from my new cookbook from Mauritius.


The dish reminded me of a gratin without beeing cooked in the oven.

My friends wanted Schnitzel as the main dish. I used that to combine with something from the island.


I modified the recipe to the  possibilities of our holiday kitchen here. It is easy, but takes a bit of cooking time until the raw potatoes and onions get soft.

It is fun to cook these recipes in the country they originate from. It will a difference to cook them at home.

I never heard of binding a sauce with a mix of egg yolks and vinegar. That is completely new to me. But I will keep this method in mind for other recipes.

Recipe for 4:
4 potatoes
Butter and oil
1 litre chicken stock
2 medium onions
4 cloves of garlic
1 spring onion greens
1 litre chicken stock
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp vinegar
White pepper
Salt
Oregano
Spring onion greens

Peel the potatoes and cut zhem into thin discs. Cut the onion in strips and bash the garlic.
In a mix of butter and oil put the potatoes in snd let them sit in the pan for minimum 3 min without stirring. They need to get some crust, now turn and cook 6 more min, add onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and oregano.
Now it needs 5 min to cook, put in halve of the chicken stock and cook until most is gone, add more. Reduce.

Mix egg yolks with vinegar.
When the potatoes are soft, add the egg mix and stir. Take off the heat and sprinke greens on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment