Saturday 17 December 2016

Lemon Sago Cream

This is a dessert I tried to recreate. I only remember the taste and the looks of it.


It was a winter dessert my Mom sometimes made when she bought to many lemons. And she used sago as a thickener. These are the only 2 ingredients I remember.
But not only that, when she was in a good mood the balance between tart and sweet was amazing, but never the look of the dessert. It always looked like a bowl of wallpaper paste with yellow specks in it.
Many times when she was stressed or in a bad mood, the dessert tended to be on the really sour side. I still can remember Dad`s face, even when he ate his dessert completely. I always complained.

Now I wanted to make a lemon dessert and bought the sago pearls today. The description on the side of the box made it easier to get the balance of liquid to starch. I looked around for inspiration and saw my bottle of apple juice on the counter.



recipe:
150 ml apple juice
50 ml water
100 ml lemon juice (2 large lemons)
zest of 2 lemons
4 heaped tbsp coconut flower sugar (makes a nice colour and gives some taste)
70 ml sweetend condensed milk
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
75 g sago pearls
75 g double cream

Use a saucepan.
Put both lemons into the microwave for 12 sec to get more juice.
Zest both lemons.

Press out the juice and pour it into a measuring cup. Fill up to 300 ml with apple juice and water.
Add sugar and vanilla sugar and heat up short before boiling.


Get the sago in and stir, bring up to a boil and cook for 30 minutes on a very very low heat - stir very often, the sago  likes to stick to the bottom of the pot!
It will thicken the liquid.
Pour it into a bowl and stir it until it cools down a bit.
After 5 minutes, fold in some double cream and let it sit in the fridge for 1 hour.


Hey, I am happy to say I nailed the taste - but it looks a lot prettier then the lemon sago cream I remember- thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment