Saturday 20 April 2024

Asparagus with red Pepper Sauce

I was out in a small wine producing city about 28 km from home and met my BFF there. Our goal was to get some wine, and Portugese and Italian food specialities. There are couple of small shops that sell delicacies in this city.



There is a huge Portugese community there. In the early to mid 1960's lots of workers for 2 large local companies were needed. They hired men from northern Portugal, out of small villages north of Porto. There wives and children came later and the community grew.



After a couple of stops to buy goodies it was time to hit the supermarket there. Fresh white asparagus from a shed in front, lots of red bell peppers and cream cheese later, I was ready to drive home to cook.



The asparagus peeling is a Zen kind of labour for me. I do not mind to peal huge amounts. Since the peeler was still in my hand, I took off the skin off the red peppers too. Better to digest.

The asparagus went in the Thermomix steamer first for 22 minutes. Then I emptied the water and thrown green onion and young garlic in. After a short blast, I added 1 tsp of oil and 1 tbsp of wild garlic butter. Sauteed for 2 min. 



The roughly cut chunks of red pepper followed and got blasted into bits. I added 100 ml veg stock from paste and 3 tbsp of cream cheese. I cooked it 5 min. The seasoning was salt, pepper, herbes de Provence and Italian herbs.

1 tbsp creme fraiche to finish last. That went with the asparagus on the plate. I had some green dumplings, wild garlic pesto and a bifteki with it.

Ingredients:

500 g white asparagus

4 red peppers

4 cloves of young garlic, 1 large green onion

1 tsp oil, 1 tbsp wild garlic butter

100 ml veg stock, 3 tbsp cream cheese

Salt, pepper, herbes de Provence, Italian herbs

Creme fraiche

No comments:

Post a Comment