Sunday 25 November 2018

Onion and Spinach Bhajis

I wanted some Indian food again. These bahjis are often eaten as a snack or served as street food.


I have made them before. But that was a long time ago.  Shopping gran or chickpea flour in the large supermarket yesterday was a challenge.
First I checked the isle where all kinds of flours been sold, nothing. Then I went to the special isles with Middle Eastern and Mediterranean food, nothing.
On my way out I found someone to ask .
Did you look at the Vegan isle? No. I had to walk all the way back to the entrance area to reach the isle and I got confused. The sign on top said VEGAN. On one side, they had lots of different kinds of flours (lots of them were on the regular flour isle as well) but no chickpea flour. 2 m to the side on the same shelf were more kinds of flours. And I found the one I was looking for. Very interesting.


Recipe for 2:
75 g baby spinach
1 red onion
1 white onion
1 yellow onion
1 spring onion
1 knob fresh ginger grated
1/2 cup red lentil flour
1 cup chickpea flour
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
250 ml water
Sunflower or canola oil for frying

Raita:
1 cup Greek yogurt
3 tbsp fresh parsley
1 tsp tsatziki seasoning
1/4 tsp ground coriander


Peel and cut the onions in halve rings. Wash the spinach.
In a bowl mix all the dry stuff together and start combining it with 100 ml of water. Gradually add more until you have a thick waffle batter.


Chuck in the veggies and stir well to coat everything.
Heat up the oil 175 C.



Use tongs and drop mix in the fryer. Do not overcrowd it.
On one side 3 min, then turn an finish. Drain on kitchen paper.
Eat warm with the Raita.


No comments:

Post a Comment