Thursday 18 July 2019

Plantain and Sweet Potato Dal -vegan

What is sitting in my veg box in the fridge? A lot of things that are going to waste if I do not eat them soon. 1 sweet potato, some plantains, spring onions and other onions. The best idea was Indian food. Since I needed some protein, I used up some yellow and red lentils. Now I can call it a Dal.


The first thing to do was zi wash the lentils. Then I put them with 3 times the amount of water in a pot - No Salt! Cooking time about 7 min.


Indian food without some spices is unheard of. My trusty treasure chest with ground spices was coming in first. Then I used my electric blender to make the paste of onions, garlic, chili. I only saved the red onion for later to put in in slices.

Chopping the peeled sweet potato was no fuss, but getting the peel off the plantain was not so easy.


Recipe for 3:
1 plantain
1 Sweet potato
2 spring onions
1 Red onion
2 shallots
5 cloves of garlic
2 knobs of ginger
1/2 red chili
65 g red lentils
65 g yellow lentils
200 ml veg stock
3 tbsp mustard oil
1/2 piece of hard palm sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper

Ground spices:
1/3 tsp cumin
1/3 tsp coriander
1/3 tsp tumeric
1/3 tsp fenugreek
a good pinch of Asant or Asa Foetida



Cook the spices in the hot mustard oil, then add the onion paste and fry off.
Drain the lentils and add 1 tbsp of the fryed paste to it.
In the pan the red onion slices next
 You will need some liquid now. Add 50 ml veg stock.
Get the veggies in and stir well. Add all the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and close the lid. Cook for 15 min.
During that time cook the Basmati rice


Add palm sugar flecks to the veggies and the cooked lentils. Add the lemon zest and juice.
Season with salt and pepper.

With a cup of Basmati rice and just the fingers of your right hand the fun starts


No comments:

Post a Comment