Friday 20 August 2021

Beer Brats or sausage and onions cooked in beer

The title of this dish is what you will get. On one of my many trips through the US I stumbled over this cooking method. Bratwurst is one of my go to favourite meat dishes. Very versatile and inexpensive.



I had a bottle of Doppelbock, a German strong beer with 15 Proof, in my fridge for over a year. The expiration date was a couple of month ago. Since I am not a huge fan of these strong beers I needed an idea to use it. Combining it with sausage and onions was great.



The guy in the US who made it, put the sausages and onions ascwet ad they were on the BBQ and created a huge billowing cloud of smoke. It is more sensible to take the sausage out and pat it dry and drain the onions for a while. 



For 2:

4 raw pork meat stuffed sausages, 500 ml beer, 1 red and 1 white onion, 2 bay leaves

Sslt and pepper and a little oil



Cut the onions in strips, toss in a pot, add sausages, bay leaves and season. Pour the beer in and bring to a simmer. Cook on low for 10 min. Scoop out the brats, pat them dry and put on the BBQ or a griddle pan. Drain thw onions and brown them a little. Serve with bread and mustard.


No comments:

Post a Comment