Thursday 22 November 2018

Cranberry Sauce

Getting fresh cranberries here is difficult. They are not common in our cuisine. You get the dried sweetened ones everywhere. But fresh, very rare.
Since it was 3 days to Thanksgiving my big supermarket had just one package of 200 g fresh berries sitting in the berry fridge.


I bought the one and few ingredients I needed for the sauce. Fresh orange juice and an apple.


I spent a couple of Thanksgivings in Florida over the years and had my fill of turkeys. I remember one time we bought the fresh cranberries from Ocean Spray at the Publix Supermarket in Miami Beach. I had no idea how prepare the classic sauce. But help was just one phone call away in Virginia. Monika gave me her recipe and the sauce turned out well.


I had to go through my memory to get back to the recipe after so many years. But it worked out well.

Recipe:
200g fresh cranberries
150 ml fresh orange juice
1 clove
One small or 1/2 of a big apple with skin
8 tbsp dark muscovado sugar

Toss it all in a pot and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the berries are popped.
Use a fork and mash them a little.
Put in a jar and keep in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment