Monday 30 December 2019

Brown Bread Ice Ceam

I was in Scotland for the second time 10 years ago with a friend. We rented a car and drove from Edinburgh up north to the Speyside to visit various Whisky distilleries. We stayed a bit in Dufftown in a B&B. It was September but very rainy. In the evening we looked for a restaurant to eat. We found a place and were the only guests. Food was awesome and we saw that she made all kinds of jams and salad dressings herself.


The following evening we were looking forward to eat there again. But no sign was outside. But some light was seen in the back. We tried the door and it opened. She told us, she wanted to clean the oven and closed the restaurant. We begged her to be served.
The proprietress was very nice and made us a great salmon dinner.


For dessert was Brown Bread Ice Cream. It did not sound so appetising , but I tried it. Later I pestered the lady to give me the recipe. My understanding of the Scottish burr was not so good, but I caught the most of it. At home I tried it once and changed some bits to my liking. Then I forgot about the recipe.


On Christmas I saw some travel report about Scotland and Dufftown was mentioned.
I remembered the great food in the restaurant there and the ice cream came back. I looked for the recipe, I must have chucked it out.
A What´s App to my friend and she started to search for the recipe and got lucky.


recipe for 4:
80 g brown bread, I used fresh walnut bread from the local bakery
80 g soft Cantuccini biscuits
400 g double cream
150 g Greek yogurt
1/2 tsp vanilla paste
2 egg white
pinch of salt
2 tbsp Scottish whisky
3 tbsp icing sugar
50 g medium brown sugar


Preheat the oven to 180 C.
Rip the bread slices in small pieces and sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
Put in the oven  for 10-15 min.

Break the Cantuccini up and soak them with Whisky.
Put both breads into a small mixer and make a finer crumb.

In a stand mixer beat the double cream with the icing sugar to soft peaks, add the vanilla paste.
In an other bowl the egg whites with a little salt to stiff peaks.
Bring that together with the yogurt and fill it into the ice cream maker.

Let it run until soft ice cream stage is reached. Mix in both bread crumbs and put into a freezer box and freeze for several hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment