Saturday 28 December 2019

Goose Breast with Mulled Wine Sauce

Goose is one of the traditional meats eaten here in Germany on Christmas.


Many people buy the birds frozen at the supermarket. These geese are often sourced in Poland or Hungary. There they are often force fed and the feathers are plugged while the birds are alive. When you look for organic raised birds, it is wise to look close to home.

I bought my piece of goose breast at my local butcher. They get them from a farm near by and they are raised in the open. But that means, you pay 4 times the price to the supermarket ones. But it is worth it!

I did not need a whole goose breast. I just wanted to eat some today. I was lucky to get a quarter of a goose breast. With all the fat I rendered from it, I can prepare lots of roasted potatoes and red cabbage in the next year. Yum.

But first came the mulled wine or Glühwein sauce.


recipe:
3 tsp sugar
125 ml red wine
zest of a lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 cinnamon stick
3 cloves
1 tbsp brown rum


Make a light brown caramel, add the wine and let the sugar dissolve again, add the spices and take it off the heat. When it has cooled down, add the rum.


The time in the oven depends on the size of the goose breast. Whole breasts have between 800 to 1200 g. That means 1 hour to render down the fat from the skin, and 2 - 3 hours for the meat itself.
Since I had only a 265 g slice of breast, the cooking time went down a lot.

It is necessary to put the breast skin side down into the oven proof dish. Best is on a rack. But a small portion in a small dish is complicated to find a rack. I helped myself by building a trivet. When you have carrots, use these. I only had an apple and that went well. I cut the apple in halves and put that skin side up in the baking dish. The salted breast went skin side down on the apples.
After 50 min on 180 C I took the dish out and scooped all the fat out and seasoned the breast again with salt and pepper and poured the mulled wine in.
I put it back into the oven for 25 min.
You can bind the sauce with some potato starch and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment