Sunday 17 October 2021

Mushrooms and Shallots in Balsamic Glaze on Puff Pastry

This is a very tasty kind of "Pizza". I had one puff pastry leftover from my grocery haul in France. I wanted nothing sweet this time.



A vegetarian style tart was my aim. I bought brown button mushrooms and had shallots and spring onions at home. Grated Cheddar was in the fridge.



Making this dish did not take too much time. I chopped the veggies and tossed them with oil and butter in a pan. On high heat they will take a couple of minutes to cook down. Now was the time to season them with salt, pepper and thyme. If you season with salt from the start, the mushrooms loose so much water from the beginning and are less tasty. 



To make the glaze I sprinkled brown sugar over the mushrooms and stirred the well. The finish was a very good gluck of dark balsamic vinegar. Go for the good stuff! Let it cook down. Spread the mushrooms on a plate to cool down to room temperature.



Roll out the puff pastry and crack an egg in a bowl. Use a pastry brush to go over the outer rim. Fold or crimp the sides up. That way it hold the filling. Spread the mushroom mixture after poking a couple of holes in the dough. Sprinkle a small amount of Cheddar on top. Not too much cheese. It will kill the balsamic taste. Brush the edges with egg wash.



Bake at 200 C for 15 min.



No comments:

Post a Comment