Wednesday 24 November 2021

Beef and Rice Stew Balkan Style

My family developed a soup like this but in a more traditional German style. That was my favourite since I was a child. Comfort food for me.



Today after work I went to the new Turkish supermarket. I needed to buy some stuff for my Thanksgiving dinner. So I picked up some freshly ground up beef. The nice butcher gave me the right mix of meat and a bit of fat. I loaded some veg and lots of parsley in my shopping bin.



I did not know what to cook with my beef mince and I sifted through ideas standing in the kitchen. Since I bought a new bag of rice at the supermarket, the family rice soup came up. But I was still a bit on Turkish food.

A fusion of many kitchens was the tasty result.



Recipe for 4:

375 g beef mince, 1 1/2 cups long grain rice, 2 spring onions, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp oil

2 beef stock cubes, 1 liter boiling water, 1 red long pepper, 1 carrot, 1 piece of celeriac, 60 g leek, 

1 bay leaf, salt, pepper, 4 tbsp Ayvar, parsley



Heat up the oil and start the beef. It will take some time to brown it.  Use the time and cut all the veggies. Add them to the browned beef and cook for 5 min more.  Season. Add the hot water and stock cubes. Add bay leaf.

Pour in the washed rice and bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover with a lid and cook on low for 15 min. Chop the parsley and spoon in the Ayvar. Check the seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment