Tuesday 15 May 2018

Risotto Milanese with Bone Marrow

This is the most famous dish of the north Italian city of Milan.

The risotto rice is grown in the area and since the city was and is prosperus, the most expensive seasoning is used in the rice- Saffron.


To take the risotto to the next level, the Milanese like to eat their risotto with cooked bone marrow for added richness. But do not forget the butter and the Parmigiano that goes in as well.

I love this dish for so many years. I started cooking when I got my own household and saw on TV a report about a first class Milan restaurant. The thing that stuck to me was the risotto that was cooked for the crew of the restaurant before the service started. It looked so easy, but it was not.
It took me a while to get the Carneroli rice, then handling the bone marrow, but after a couple of tries, I had my own very classic Risotto Milanese.


Today I served it with fresh picked green asparagus.


Recipe for 2:
2 marrow bones, cooked
180 g carneroli rice
1 small onion
1 spring onion
4 tbsp butter
150 ml white wine
600 ml beef stick
80 g Parmesan
0,4 g Saffron


Chop onions fine and start them in butter. Soak the Saffron in warm water

Add the rice and coat it well, pour in the wine and let that cook down. Now is time for the Saffron. Heat up the stock and add it 4 steps,
stir very often.

Then finish with butter and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment