Thursday 20 December 2018

Shabu Shabu at home

I have a very old table cooker -rechaud - inherited from my parents. It has to be filled with liquid methylated spirit and gets very hot. Today most of these table burners use burning paste.
It is very versatile, because you can place any kinds of pots, pans or clay pots on top.


Wagashi kitchen is this called in Japan. Traditional food.  I wanted to recreate it at home.
Shabu Shabu means swich swich. A piece of meat gets pulled through the pot.


My guests and I were no tofu fans. I am still no tofu fan, but my friend now is. I found Japanese semi firm silken tofu. And pressed it between several sheets of kitchen paper. I changed the "nappies" three times in 3 hours.
That way it took in the taste of the broth later.

Ingredients for 3:
2 packages dashi without M
120 g Shitake mushrooms
2x Enoki mushrooms
60 g Shimeji mushrooms
1 carrot
1 package silken tofu
1/4 Napa Cabbage
50 g Chrysanthemium leaves
2 spring onions
200 g Udon noodles
1 cup shortgrain rice
Ponzu sauce
Tahini paste mixed with soup stock
1/3 daikon radish finely grated and pressed into a small ball.

Cut some slashes into the shitake mushrooms. That makes it easier for them to get soft.
Cut off the bottom on the Enoki mushrooms.
Peel the carrot and cut 1 cm discs. Now you can use a flower cutter and make them nice.
Cook the udon noodles and cool them down.
Cut cabbage and chrysanthemium leaves into 3 cm chunks.
Cut up the spring onions.
Use a pot that can sit on the burner later. Pour in 1,2 l water and bring it to a boil, add the dashi and cook for 3 min.
Cook the rice.




No comments:

Post a Comment