Tuesday 25 December 2018

Zupa Watrobiana - Liver Soup

It is Christmas Eve and you are not supposed to throw out food on a day like this. I regularly try not to do that anyway by shopping the amount that can be eaten in one or two days.


But tonights dinner contains chicken liver and I had to buy it in advance in a frozen form. Fresh liver would not be available, I asked at the butcher. The package contained 500 g of a solid frozen block of chicken livers. I had to thaw it all to get off single pieces.
I packed away what I needed for tonights dinner and stowed the rest in a bag to put in the garbage later.
Then I went online to check what to do with the leftover liver and found this Polish recipe. Easy and no weird ingredients needed. I even was able to use the pork stock I had cooked a good week ago.


Recipe:
250 g chicken liver or any kind you have on hand
1 onion
1 l pork stock or what ever you have
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp chives
1 tbsp freeze dried soup veggies
Salt, pepper, chili, thyme
2 slices of toast
2 tbsp butter


Clean the liver an pat it dry, put in a blender and mix.
Chop the onion and reheat the stock.


In a pot in a 2 tbsp butter saute the onion, then add the flour and cook. Little by little add the hot stock to prevent getting lumps.
Pour the rest in and cook for 5 min.
In a pan with the butter brown the toast cubes.
Chop the chives.


Reduce the heat of the soup to medium and let the liver drip into the soup in a small batch until all us in. Stir constantly and after 2 more min, the soup is done. Add the chives and season to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment