Friday 26 October 2018

Clear Latte - so strange

This year in spring I saw several YT videos showing the new clear drink trend in Japan.

A lot of people tasted it and their reactions ranged from cool to so strange. When I got here, I wanted to try it myself.
Japan is the country where you can buy cold or hot drinks from vending machines everywhere. Different brands in various machines.

Since I came here I checked lots of these machines and the convenient stores, but these clear drinks did not appear. I started to think that the new trend already was over and that I was too late.


Today in Kyoto I went shopping at Nishiki District and stumbled upon a DAISO. The largest 100 yen store chain in Japan. After buying some kitchen gadgets and other items I passed a drink section and Clear Latte caught my eye.

Next to it a bottle of Clear Matcha Latte. But I only bought the coffee. Back at the hotel I put it in the fridge to get real cold again.

Opening the bottle I took a sniff. Smelled like strong coffee.
I poured some in a glass, looked like water. I took a sip open eyed and it tasted strange of a weak cold iced coffee. I closed my eyes and it tasted like a good cold latte.
The bottle says: Espresso with Milk.
But zero calories, no dairy, no caffeine.

I had the strong tastes of espresso still on my tongue after 1 hour.
Strange - or what!

No comments:

Post a Comment