Monday 19 October 2020

Munster Cheese with Potatoes and Ham

Munster Cheese is an cheese of origin in the mountains of the Haut Vogese en Grand Est de France. The valley of Munster produces the creamy red cheese.



I liked this cheese since I was a teen. Travelling with my parents to the south west of Germany near the border to France, we liked to make stops in small towns and buy wine. I remember well my trip in my first car on a hot weekend. After a long drive south we stopped for a snack. There was a cheese shop and just a good piece of cheese and a roll sounded great. We decided on 3 pieces of ripe Munster cheese. Dad and I munched all of the cheese and bread back to my car. My Mom only ate the roll and a bit of the cheese. She put the rest in a bag in the trunk. At 33 C NOT A GOOD IDEA! 



After an hour we had to stop. This piece of cheese stank to high heaven. We had to discard it and drive with open windows for a longer time, remember I had no AC in my car.



This cheese in cream has to sit in a cool place but no fridge over night and until lunch time. Since it is a cold October, I put the tupperware outside in the hallway. 

I used 180 g Munster cheese and 4 large potatoes and black forest ham.


The sauce:

250 g creme fraiche with herbs + 30 ml milk

2 spring onions + 12 stalks of chive

Smoked paprika, salt and pepper



No comments:

Post a Comment