Thursday 23 November 2023

Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows

I was really really hoping that this casserole was edible. On a whim I invited my older neighbor to my Thanksgiving dinner.



She never had sweet potatoes before, that she told me when I talked about the menu. That stressed me a little.



The idea for the casserole was from different recipes on Pinterest. Most of the recipes were for larger groups of guests. I started to break the amounts of ingredients down for 2 people.



I was shocked about the amount of sugar in these recipes. With the marshmallows on top even more sugar in the dish. I used a very small amount of sugar later and it was great to eat.



Recipe for 2:

600 g peeled and cubed sweet potatoes

40 g butter, 40 ml milk, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 4 tsp muscovado sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon

40 g toasted pecans, chopped

80 g Mini Marshmallows



Cook the sweet potatoes in salted water for 15 min until soft. Drain. Add butter, milk and seasoning and use a potato masher to make a puree.



In a dry pan toast the pecans. Chop them on a cutting board. Add them to the mash.

Use an oven proof dish and coat it with butter. Spread the mash and flatten it out. Keep it cool until it is time to get it in the oven.



Toss the marshmallows on top and put it in a preheated 180 C oven for 20 to 25 min.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment