Tuesday 19 March 2024

Garlic Preparation for longer shelf life

I was so happy when I found a bag of garlic bulbs that were grown in France.



Our supermarkets and discounters only sell China garlic. Either the very white larger bulbs or the small single garlic cloves in a basket.



On my grocery shopping trip to France I spotted pink garlic bulbs. The amount of it did not made any impact on me, I just picked them up and went away smiling. It is great to be happy about small things - even stinky ones.



This morning I looked at them in my onion basket and asked myself how to eat all of them before they get bad. I took the bag out to check it, but there was no weight anywhere on the sign. On my kitchen scale, they came up to 600 g.



In many Korean or Asian recipes, teaspoons or tablespoons of garlic pastes are used in recipes. Lets make my own and store it in the fridge.



Most recipes on the Internet are using olive oil. But for my more Asian recipes I looked for a neutral oil and went with grapeseed oil.

You will need 250 g peeled garlic cloves. Now the fun starts. Get the bulb open and break out the single cloves. Use a small knife to cut off the top and the tail of each clove. I have tried the method of getting them in a box and shaking them for a couple of minutes. But the skin stayed on. Then I just used my knife. The bigger ones got a tap with the knife on top, that helped with the skin.



Add them to a chopper and add 50 ml grapeseed oil. After you reach the consistency you like, put them in a sterilized glass jar. Add 2 more tbsp of oil on top. Store in the fridge and allways use a clean spoon to get some out. This way the garlic has a much longer time to stay useable.

Clean your stinky fingers either with lemon juice or a bar of steal soap.


No comments:

Post a Comment