Saturday 23 February 2019

Red Cabbage Steaks with Goat Cheese



I was on a tour into the Odenwald, a large area with lots of small hills and valleys to buy chocolate Easter goodies. In a tiny village is an old chocolate factory which sells to the public. Without good knowledge where to look and a decent Sat Nav everybody has problems finding it.  I came out with a whole bunch of goodies.


On my way back home I went into a local supermarket in the next bigger village and bought my weekend groceries.


A head of red cabbage was the first thing in my shopping cart. These cabbages are a real winter vegetable and can be prepared either as cooked cabbage or as a salad.
I decided to try a method I saw on a photo on Pinterest.


Recipe:
1 head red cabbage
2 tbsp parsley
2 tbsp maple syrup
125 g goat cheese
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 lemon juiced
4 tbsp olive oil
75 g bacon bits
1/2 tsp dried majoram
1/2 tsp Baharat seasoning
Salt and pepper

Heat up the oven to 170 C


Cut the cabbage head int 1 inch slices, be carefull, it is not that easy. They may get a bit loopsided.
Chop the garlic roughly, add spices and lemon juice and top off with oil.
Use a brush and smear some of it on the baking paper, then set the cabbage on top.
Get all the rest of the garlic over all slices and put it into the oven for 22 min.

Cut the cheese  into 1 cm discs and place them on the hot cabbage. Brush with maple syrup and bake 7 min until the cheese is soft.
Fry bacon in a pan and dry on kitchen paper
Chop parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment