Tuesday 23 January 2024

Mallow, fresh from the Market

We have been to the very modern Fish Market in Barka. Outside are still the traditional fruit and veg sellers along the street.



The building of the fish market is just 4 years old and very clean and pleasant smelling inside. But since I can't cook here, I took a couple of photos and watched an fish auction, I went outside then.



99 % of the fruits and veggies were common to me. Then a plate of small red fruits caught my eye. Was this a spice or an edible fruit, no idea!

I asked the shopkeeper, but not arabic speaking problems prevented any kind of conversation. But he gave me a piece and took one himself. He ripped off a leaf and told me with hand guestures to do the same. The middle piece had to be discarded.



The leafs are a bit sour, but nice. But the taste did not bring the answer to the question about that the heck that was. I asked our tourguide.

He looked a bit strange since I was eating the red leafs. The dried version of the leaves are a great tea: Mallow Tea

I bought some dried tea at the Souk in Nizwa.




Later I had arabic cardamom coffee and dates dipped in Tahin at a castle. These combination was very tasty.






No comments:

Post a Comment