Saturday 19 December 2015

1000 Island Sauce

1000 Island Sauce as the result of the Christmas Goodies from a good supermarket.

I did most of my holiday grocery shopping today, to plan ahead what to cook over the 4 days. Meat, poultry and fish are on the cooking agenda now.

While looking for the perfect dish, I found a huge platter of large king prawns, I couldn´t resist to buy them and they were my feast tonight. A lot of work to peel and clean them, but I love to get my hands on food and getting messy. The only thing is, during this time the phone was more or less constantly ringing.

What goes great with large prawns? A wonderful dipping sauce. And I made my all time favorite 1000 Island Sauce, a recipe I´m preparing since I started cooking. Even when I rarely use it, the moment I dip something in it (probably my finger to taste), the taste buds say: yeah that`s it!

Large Prawns with 1000 Island Sauce

Basic Ingredients and some not in the picture
recipe for 1000 Island Sauce:
4 tbsp Mayonnaise
3 tbsp Ketchup
1 tsp Gherkin water
1/2 cap of Osbourne Brandy
4 tiny Gherkins finely chopped
1 tsp chopped Capers
1 tsp chopped Chives
2 good dashes of Cipotle Tabasco

btw: when you peeled and discarded the innards of the prawns, don´t through away the heads and shells and everything except the black innards.
Use a medium pot, throw it all in, add peppercorns, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 bay leaves, 50ml Pernod, 50 ml Noilly Prat and 500 ml water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, then drain the liquid through a fine sieve and you have a great base for soups or sauces.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment