Thursday 11 August 2022

Chicken Tomato Basil Rice One Pot

So many veggies in a tomato infused pilaw rice. Nice to have the chicken thighs with it. But it will work without the chicken as well. Just use an other kind of stock.



My fight with my home grown tomstoes just started 10 days before. Now the season is in full swing. I loaded up my shirt in the morning with fresh plugged tomatoes. I was sure they were no ripe ones, because I harvested yesterday. I did not bring a bowl.



Since I just battled down my bout with tomato allergy, eating raw tomatoes was out. I put them in a blender and made liquid tomatoes. With the help of some chicken stock I had great tomato rice.



Recipe for 3:

3 chicken thighs, about 200 g each

1 stalk celery, 2 carrots,1 red bell pepper, 1 yellow onion, 3 cloves of garlic, 5 green Padron peppers, 1 red chili, 250 g tomatoes, 4 stalks basil, 4 stalks thyme, 1 stalk majoram, 1 bay leaf

350 ml chicken stock, 50 ml white wine, salt and pepper, smoked paprika, oil, 2 tbsp tomato paste

190 g pilaw rice or medium grain rice



Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper snd brush with smoked paprika. In a cast iron pan heat up the oil and sear the chicken thighs on both sides for 5 min. Take them out.



Get onions, garlic and diced carrots in and give them 6 min.  Now in with the tomato paste. Add all peppers and chilis and season with salt and pepper. After 2 min add the wine and let it deglaze the pan. Get thr blended tomatoes in and the dried herbs. Add the washed rice and coat it well in the tomato sauce.



Pour in the stock and set the chicken thighs in the mix. Bring up to a boil, reduce the heat and put a lid on. Cook for 20 min.



Check if the chicken is done. Add the fresh basil and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment