Wednesday 31 August 2022

Indian Ghost Pepper Chili Prawns on Rice

I am growing different kinds of hot peppers for years on my balcony. Depending on the kind of summer we have here in Germany, the peppers are mild to hot. But always good enough to cook with them.



This year I bought a chili plant in April in a large garden center and was curious about the outcome. INDIAN GHOST PEPPER



More or less in the same class as the Carolina Reaper. This plant was available too, but I did not buy it.



Now most of my peppers are ripe and ready to harvest, I plucked 8 off the plant. 



With my prawns I wanted to test the heat of one. Careful as I am, I took gloves and a glass cutting board and a special knife. I cut off the top and sliced the chili lengthwise. Then I started to cough. Weird! I took out the seeds and the membrane and coughed a bit more.

Since I only cooked one portion of prawns and had a bit of leftover rice, I finely chopped 1/3 of the chili and used it for the dish. That was plenty of heat and it kept growing while I ate.

Recipe for 1:

1/3 Indian Ghost Pepper Chili

150 g cooked prawns, 1 cup cooked rice

2 spring onions, 60 g fine cut cabbage, salt and pepper

2 tbsp Mirin, 3 tsp Ayvar, 1 tbsp oil, 1 tsp creme fraiche



Chop the onions and start them in oil. Add the cabbage, chili and cook for 5 min, season with salt and pepper. Pour in some Mirin. 

Now add the prawns and let them heat through. Add the Ayvar.

Heat the rice in the Microwave and top it with the prawns.

Take care with the chili heat, it will burn twice.




No comments:

Post a Comment