Sunday 31 March 2019

Bombay Aloo

This actually just potatoes and onions.


Onions are a big deal in many parts of India. Except the Brahman Class, they are not allowed to eat onions and garlic. Mountains of onions are sold at the markets everywhere.


I wanted to cook it for a long time. Normally I do not have a lot of potatoes in stock, I mostly buy as much as I need for a dish. When I store potatoes in the kitchen, they start to grow and get soft again.
Last week I needed several different kinds of potatoes and small amounts were not to come by. I had to buy in larger quantities. Now I have to use them up, otherwise I have to throw them out soon.


recipe for 2:
700 g potatoes
2 red onions
2 spring onions
1 green chili
6 cloves of garlic
2 knobs of ginger
4 kardamom pods
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tbsp dried Curry leaves
1 tsp Ground tumeric
200 ml coconut milk
water
salt and pepper
3 tbsp ghee


Peel the potatoes and cook them until nearly done. Drain.
In a small blender make a paste with chili, spring onions, garlic and ginger.
Chop the red onions into strips.
Heat up the ghee and fry off the spices. Add the red onions first and cook them for 3 min, then add the paste. Add water.


Get then potatoes in and the coconut milk and cook and season to taste.
Eat with some fresh tomatoes as a side and may be a bit of yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment