Sunday 17 March 2019

Irish Barmbrack Bread

Tomorrow is St. Patrick´s Day.

When I checked Instagram I saw Donal Skehan´s Barmbrack bread coming up. It is usually baked for Halloween, but it is tasty all year round.
I thought I had it baked and posted before, but I have not.


When I bake fruity loaf breads, I bake the Welsh Bara Brith or mottled bread. I posted it here 2017 and baked it since then a couple of times.
The Barmbrack I made once when Donal posted it for the first time on his channel and I discovered, that it tasted quite similar to my favourite Welsh one.


A stormy and rainy Saturday is good for baking. Checking the ingredient list did not call for any goods I did not have in stock. I have bags of juicy squishy dried plums and figs, I toss into my cereals some times and a bunch of raisins.


When your fruits are really dried, you have to soak them over night. But since mine needed just about 2 Hours to get plumbed up again, I did not have to wait long to bake.

recipe for 900 g loaf tin:
225 g flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
250 g black strong Cold tea
50 ml Irish WHISKEY
375 g mixed dried fruit
125 g light Brown sugar
1 large free range egg
1 tsp Ground mixed spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon


Bake at 170 C for 1 hour.
Chop up the fruits if they are too big. Pour tea and Whiskey over them and set aside to soak.
Sieve flour, salt and baking powder with the spices in a large bowl.
Add the egg.
Transfer the soaked fruits but not all the liquid to the bowl and stir very well. The batter should be thick and heavy. Make sure there are not pockets of flour in the mix.
Butter the loaf tin and get some baking paper in to get it out later more easily.



No comments:

Post a Comment