Sunday 25 September 2022

Cherry Pie Hack

I was envited to have coffee and Rocher Cake at my friends house to celebrate her last week birthday. I was on my way to the supermarket and garden center and phone call reached me. She cancelled on me due to a stomach bug.



Since I was looking forward to cake and the offering of the bakery wasn't speaking to me, I bought ingredients to make myself some.



During the week I saw a Reel with the hack for an American cherry pie. Ingredients needed to be changed to the ones available here. But that was manageble. 



Already in the supermarket I picked everything up.

Cherries for pie are available with a gloopy syrup  in America. Ready to be dumped in a ready made piecrust. I had to use a different approch. Buy a jar of sour cherries in juice and drain the juice in a pot. Add some cherry liqueur and dissolve enough cornstarch in water to thicken the hot juice. Works fine and let the cherried sit in the gloop to cool down.

The hack of this pie is the piecrust. The blue round rolls of Kraft Crescent dough are well known. The only difference are the size snd width of this containers. I needed to cut the long strip of dough in half and place both parts side by side. The American version is wider.

Graham crackers are not available here. I went for the trusty LEIBNIZ and used the whole meal version. Crushed them into crumbs. A bit of powdered sugar adds more sweetness.

Recipe:

2 Kraft dough rolls Crescent dough

1 jar Morello cherries, 3 tsp cornstarch, 3 tbsp cherry liqueur

75 g Leibniz whole wheat crackers

2 tbsp powdered sugar 

Butter for the dish, cream


Grease the dish and preheat the oven 180 C fan.

Crack open one dough and unroll it. The wide American version goes in the dish. The German version needs to cut in half and pushed together and then dropped in the dish. Pour the cherries in with the gloop. Crumble the crackers on top and sieve some sugar on top. Now get the second dough open and put it on top. Brush the top with a little cream and bake it for 20 min.






 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment