Tuesday 9 May 2023

Coronation Tart


The Bucking Palace posted a recipe for a festive tart, that families, friends or neighbors should share during the Coronation weekend.



I was intrigued. The only thing foodwise was the Coronation Chicken recipe from the 1950s that I knew.



The combination of a shortcrust pastry with Cheddar, Tarragon, Spinach and Broad Beans was interesting.



The main problem for me were the broad beans. I know they are ready available frozen in the UK. Here in Germany you may get them during the summer fresh in some Turkish supermarkets. But no chance to get them frozen somewhere now.



I used green asparagus instead.

Sharing with a neighbor was my aim too. Thats why I baked a larger and a smaller tart.



The royal cream on top is a little different from the original Buckingham Palace recipe, but I had to use up some stuff from my fridge.



Recipe:

375 g shortcrust pastry,

100 g sharp Cheddar

400 g green asparagus, 125 g Baby spinach

2 stalks fresh tarragon

2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 1 cup creme fraiche, 50 g Emmenthal grated cheese,

Herb salt, pepper, smoked paprika, Cayenne pepper



Cook the cleaned asparagus for 3 to 5 min, depending on the thickness. Fish them out and toss the baby spinach in, 30 seconds and then in an ice bath together with the asparagus. Drain.

Chop the tarragon and grate the Cheddar.



Use baking spray for the dish and level the pastry in. Poke it with a fork. Sprinkle 2/3 of the Cheddar on the bottom, add the veggies and the tarragon.

Mix the royal cream and pour it over.

Preheat the oven 190 C and use the lower level and place the dish in.

Bake for 40 min. Let it sit in the open oven when its off for 10 min, take it out and cool it down to room temperature.



No comments:

Post a Comment