Sunday 7 May 2023

Egg Yolks marinated in Soy Sauce and Mirin

Yes, these are raw egg yolks.



I bought very fresh eggs yesterday and had to try this method I saw on YT Pro Home Cooks this week. It is originally a Chinese way to toughen fresh eggs and use them over a longer period of days.

But I would not eat these eggs in most other countries. That is often not save. But I love to eat raw eggs in Japan. No where they are better.

If you keep them longer then 24 hours in the marinate, they firm up much more. Use them as a filling for some Onigiri - Japanese rice balls.



I woke up at 4:30 AM Sunday morning and decided to crack two eggs. I stored the egg whites for an other recipe and dropped the egg yolks in a bowl. I covered them with 2/3 dark soy sauce and 1/3 Mirin. Then took a piece of kitchen paper, folded it and placed it directly on top if the egg yolks. That way they stay fully submerged.

4 hours later I cooked a bowl of short grain rice, added some chives and sesame seeds and a bit of the dark liquid and dropped the egg yolks on top.

Delicious!




No comments:

Post a Comment