Sunday 17 June 2018

Zurek - Polish sour flour Soup

I had this soup twice during my Poland trip. The first time at Holy Virgin Mary Day in Swietka Lipka the second time at the last hotel in Poland - Amber Palace Hotel.


Yesterday I went to the Russian Delicatessen in my neighbourhood. They have Polish goods there too and the first thing I found was a bottle of Zurek, the fermented rye flour mix. Just a meter down the isle I found a package of Polish Kielbasa sausages.
Reading about the soup and remembering what our tour guide told us, all kinds of veggies are good for this soup.
I had 2 red bell peppers from last week and they needed to be cooked and I have thrown them into the soup mix. It made the soup a bit redder then the ones I had in Poland. The taste was the same.

recipe for 4:
1 liter beef stock
1 large carrot
3 small potatoes 
1 small leek
1/4 celeriac
2 red bell peppers
3 spring onions
3 cloves of garlic
300 g Kielbasa sausages
100 g raw ham
salt and pepper
500 ml Zurek ready fermented rye flour
2 hard boiled eggs
60 g fresh dill


Put all the veggies into a blender and give it a quick blend. Pour it into the pot with the beef stock and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat.
Put the sausages in and let them cook with the soup.


It needs about 25 min.
Get the sausages out and pull the peel off.
Shake the Zurek long and very well to mix it together very well.
Bring the soup back to the boil and pour the Zurek in. Let it cook good 5 min to thicken the soup.
Peel the eggs and chop the dill
Cut the sausages into rings and get all together.


No comments:

Post a Comment