Sunday 14 June 2020

Pierogi

I was in Poland two years ago. I came across this filled dumplings at various occations.


Soft dough without much taste to it, filled with a vegetarian or a meat filling. I even had them as dessert filled with blueberries and curd.


They are a lot of work to do yourself and I was surprised to find a package at Lidl last week. The Pierogi were filled with potato mash and cream cheese. They had a Polish week special at Lidl. Lots of other item were sold there. But since I did not shop during the special offer time, I only got some of the leftover stuff.


Corona times changed my way of grocery shopping. Since I was not able to drive to France for 3 Month now due to closed borders, I am doing the large haul once a week on Saturdays at 7 AM. A discount chain is not the place for it. Just a second stop during the middle of the week for some fresh produce.  Before Corona I checked the offers for week specials and went in several different shops. 


The Pierogi are eaten in Poland either with some Smetana or sour cream or are served with a bit of bacon topping. Large amounts of any kind of sauce are not common. The dish is more on the dry side.

I chopped some onions and added 125 g of bacon bits to a pan. With a little white wine and a bit of water I created my kind of dressing.

The pierogi were just like the ones I ate in Poland. I was really surprised how good they were.      

No comments:

Post a Comment