Saturday 20 June 2020

Squid Rings with Sweet Corn Rice

After 4 month I was able to drive to France again to go grocery shopping. On last Monday, the 15th, the borders finally were opened up. Fortified with face mask, plastic face shield and desinfectant I went on my way.


First stop was the fish monger. Such a better offer on seafood then here at home. I bought a good helping of squid rings and some salmon. That one is for tomorrow.


Lots of other stuff like strong smelly cheeses went into the shopping cart. There were so many new things on display and some of them on "promo" that I bought enough stuff to last me a good while.
Thank goodness I have a second fridge/freezer combo in the basement. I wrote a list with the prime ingredients and expiration dates and in which fridge to find them, so nothing is going to waste. It is sticking on my fridge door in the kitchen.


After the long drive and shopping spree I needed something quick to eat. Squid rings are very quick to prepare. It just to a bit of time to prepare the rice.


recipe:
1 cup longgrain rice
1vegetable stock cube
1small can of sweet corn
2 spring onions
1 clove of garlic
1 knob of butter
150 ml tomato juice
basil
salt and pepper

250 g squid rings
olive oil
salt and pepper


Chop onions and garlic and saute in butter. Add the washed rice and give it a good coating.
Heat some water (1 1/2cup) and dissolve the stock cube. Add to the rice and pour in the tomato juice.
Stir often and reduce the heat. The rice tends to stick to the bottom of the pot.
In the last 5 min, add the drained sweet corn.
Rip the basil and test the rice for seasoning, add salt and pepper.


Wash and dry the squid rings very good. Heat up a pan with oil on high heat and toss the rings in, 1 minute on each side, season and cut off the heat. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment