Friday 24 August 2018

Home grown Tomato season is nearly over

I gave a good friend a bag of home grown tomatoes and a jar of my Tomato Mango Chutney to carry home to her parents.
They loved the different kinds of tomatoes, their variations of sweetness or tartness and the unusual looks of some of them.


My friend send me pics of the tomato tasting and asked me to share more information about the tomatoes with my readers.

This year I have 13 tomato plants. And after 3 month of unusual heat waves I harvested some of them already. Tomorrow 3 or 4 plants will go into the organic bin.


This year I had some quirky tomatoes. Have you ever heard of a Travel Tomato? Nor did I. When they started to built fruit after the flower was pollinated, the tiny tomatos looked just like normal ones.



After a couple of days they started to grow out in different places of the small ball. They shaped up in a funny way. Small blobs of tomatoes sitting side by side. When the first one was ripe, I broke off a compartment and the rest stayed intact. I collected seeds.


A coworker loves to eat 1 slice of tomato an her breadand the rest often spoils. I gave her a couple of seeds for next year to grow the perfect tomato for her.


Some big ones have the name German Gold. This tomato has golden strips on a cream yellow colour. But due to our hot summer, they all went bright red with gold strips. Very attractive looking and tasting great.


I am a fan of Japan cuisine and travel. I have a large size tomato in the colour of  rust brown with a bit of green and s very tiny one in dark brown.
The big one is a Japanese Truffel, the tiny one is a Japanese Mini Kumato. The big one is juicy and tart, the tiny ones are sweet.


But my favourite one is Heinz K. An oblong shaped ketchup tomato. They remind me of the tomatoes the Italians grow for their sauces.

The small yellow light bulbs are sooo tasty and are called Green Pear. But my favourite are the Mexican honey tomato. The left corner of the pic.

After eating my daily dose of fresh tomatoes in large amounts - a bad allergy started.
No more raw tomatoes for a while. So sad.




No comments:

Post a Comment