Thursday 26 December 2019

Korean Oxtail Soup or Sokkoritang

This is a recipe from my favourite Korean YouTuber Maangchi.
As always, I made my own version of it.


I saw the video a couple of weeks ago and I knew I had to make this soon. This is Christmas Eve here in Germany, the day the presents are given and the kids get bright eyes waiting for the Christkind ( Child of Christ). No Santa Claus with the sleigh and the reindeer's. Well, it gets mixed up here a lot now. Santa is taking over the old traditions.


Since I have time to cook, I don' t do the traditional potato salad and wieners as others do. I started to prepare most of the dish yesterday. It needed time to cool and set.
I have to reheat the degreased soup later, set up the rice cooker and prep the dip. And the egg omelet.


I am eating this alone. So instead of the oxtail I bought a calves tail. Veal is much softer and needed less cooking time.


Recipe:
750 g calves tail
1 daikon radish
5 cloves of garlic
6 cm white of a leek
1 bay leave
Salt and pepper

Dip
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp Korean hot pepper flakes
1 tsp Gouchujang red pepper paste
1 tsp Chinese black vinegar
Sesame seeds


Sides
3 spring onions
Pickled savoy cabbage

2 eggs
pinch of Dashi stock powder
2 tbsp carbonated water
olive oil
salt and pepper


2 cups Jasmin rice

Soak the meat in cold water for 2 hours to get out the impurities.
Wash it and take off excess fat.
Put it in a big enough pot for the soup later. Add just enough water to cover it and bring it to a boil.
Reduce the heat and blanche it for 15 min.
Drain, get the scum off the meat and clean the pot thoroughly.
Get the meat back in.
Peel the radish and cut it into 2 inch pieces. Clean the leek and cut it in halves. 4 huge cloves of garlic get roughly chopped and all these ingredients together with the bay leaf into the pot. Pour in enough water to cover it all, season with a bit of salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cover it with a lid. Cook for 90 min.
Get the meat and the large pieces of veg out and cover it and let it cool down.
Cool down the soup as well. The best is over night. Skim the fat off and reheat it.
warm up the meat and veggies in the soup.
Cook the Jasmin rice.
Make the dip.
Chop some spring onions
Cook the omelet and cut it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment