Tuesday 24 December 2019

Mousse au Chocolat - French style

There are so many light versions and easy versions for the Mousse au Chocolat. You can buy lots of these at the supermarkets. Some are tasty, most are just boring. But the old fashioned way of preparing it yourself with the best quality of ingredients is more my way.


The last time I prepared that recipes I lived in an other town and did not have a dishwasher. I used a plethora of bowls and utensils and I wrote a comment on the side of the recipe: absolutely decadent, but wait to make it again until you have a dishwasher.
I waited more than 20 years, because I have a dishwasher for as long as that.



I have an old French cookbook that has got yellow tinted pages over the years. I checked it for some Christmas recipes and found my note. That inspired me to make the Mousse au Chocolat for the festive season.



Now I have finished it and the jars with the Mousse are outside on the balcony to chill. 6 C is the best temperature and I do not need to stuff my fridge with them. And the dishwasher is loaded and ready to start.



recipe for 5 jars:
150 g 85 % dark chocolate
70 g patissier´s milk chocolate
75 g unsalted butter
3 medium size very fresh eggs
250 g double cream
pinch of salt
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp Brandy or Cognac

1/2 lemon



Fill a small pot with 1/3  of water and bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium.
Use a metal bowl and set it on top. Be careful, that the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water.

Break the chocolates in pieces and cut up the butter.
Let it melt slowly and stir some times. Take it off the heat.
Add the Brandy to the chocolate and stir.



While the chocolate is melting, separate the eggs. 
In a bowl add egg yolks and sugar and with a whisk beat it until white and creamy.
Add the sugar egg mix to the chocolate. Stir softly.


In a stand mixer beat the double cream until you get soft peaks.
Mix into the chocolate.

In an other bowl for the stand mixer press in the lemon juice and clean the bowl and the whisk to prevent fat to get in the egg white. Dry the bowl and beat the egg whites until stiff.
First add 1/3 of the egg white to the chocolate and stir, now fold the rest in completely.

Fill into jars and chill.
Slurp the rest of the Mousse out of the bowl and pack all the stuff into the dishwasher. 
Finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment